Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Program (Maryland)

I would like expert help and advise with this application

Maryland residents who provide public service to Maryland State or local government or nonprofit agencies in Maryland to low income or underserved residents.


You must have earned a degree from a college in Maryland, or from any law school, or a resident teacher certificate from the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE). You must be employed full-time (35+ hours per week) in state or local government or in a nonprofit organization in Maryland. Your employer must help low income, underserved residents or underserved areas in the state. You must have educational loans from a university, government, or commercial source that you used to pay college expenses. You may not be in default on a loan. Your annual gross salary cannot exceed $60,000.  If married, your annual gross salary cannot exceed $60,000, and your combined salaries cannot exceed $130,000.  If employed as a nurse faculty member, your annual gross salary cannot exceed $75,000.  If married, your annual gross salary cannot exceed $75,000, and your combined salaries cannot exceed $160,000. This is a service-based program. Prior service obligations from other State of Maryland scholarships must be completed by July 1, 2017. One position cannot fulfill two service obligations simultaneously.

Eligible employment fields:

  • Lawyers (judicial clerks in any court and policy analysts are not eligible; principle part of the position must provide legal services to low-income residents in Maryland who cannot afford legal services)
  • Nurses (degree- or diploma-holding registered nurses; school nurses are not eligible
  • Licensed Clinical Counselors
  • Physical and Occupational Therapists
  • Social Workers (either a bachelor’s or master’s degree in social work)
  • Speech Pathologists
  • Teachers at any level or subject field who teach in schools designated as Federal Title I or Schools Identified for Improvement by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE). The official list of schools is available at the bottom of the LARP program description page (see below). Head Start Programs are not eligible. Teachers with the following areas of certification:
    • technology education (secondary);
    • chemistry (secondary);
    • computer science (secondary);
    • English for Speakers of other Languages-ESOL (elementary & secondary);
    • health occupations (secondary);
    • Latin (secondary);
    • mathematics (secondary);
    • physics (secondary);
    • earth/space science (secondary);
    • physical science (secondary);
    • dance (elementary and secondary);
    • reading specialist (elementary & secondary);
    • speech-language pathology (educational service area);
    • Spanish (secondary); and
    • special education: generic – infant to grade 3; grades 1 through 8; grades 6 to adult; hearing impaired; severely & profoundly disabled; visually impaired.


You must be in your 2nd year of the program and possess a Maryland Resident Teaching Certificate. You must submit a LARP General application and all required documents by the deadline specified in the “When to Apply” section. UTC applicants are not eligible to receive the lock-in award.


You must be a law student attending the University of Maryland, Baltimore or the University of Baltimore and in your third and final year of school. You must submit a LARP General application by the deadline specified in the “When to Apply” section.  Our office must also receive documentation of your official, eligible job offer prior to January 1, 2018.


Applicants will be grouped according to eligible employment field. Within employment fields, individuals will be ranked according to graduation date, then application complete date. If individuals have identical graduation dates and application complete dates, applicants with the lowest income will be awarded first. Priority is given to individuals who have graduated from an institution of higher education in the last three years. Priority employment fields established by law are legal services and nursing. Priority for awards will also be given to applicants who are employed as nurse faculty members or applicants who teach in schools designated as federal Title I, schools Identified for Improvement by MSDE, or who teach in designated critical shortage subject fields.


Awards will be determined by an applicant’s overall reported educational debt at the time of application. Recipients will lock-in to an award level that contains set award amounts. Award funds are distributed annually over a three (3) year period as long as the recipient remains eligible and continues to submit the required annual employment, lender and tax documentation by the September 29 deadline.

Total Debt Overall Award Limit Yearly Payment
$75,001 – Over $30,000 $10,000
$40,001 – $75,000 $18,000 $6,000
$15,001 – $40,000 $9,000 $3,000
$15,000 – Below $4,500* $1,500*


Recipients of lock-in awards are required to submit annual employment, lender and tax documentation by the September 30 deadline for each year that they receive funding. Failure to submit required documentation by the deadline or failure to report changes in your employment status and/or salary level throughout the service/award years will make you ineligible for the award.


Award recipients of the Janet L. Hoffman Loan Assistance Repayment Program are eligible to receive monthly payments if they participate in the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). Individuals who opt to participate in the monthly payment option will receive 12 installments from March 2018 through February 2019. The monthly installment amount will be determined based on the award amount (i.e. Yearly award of $6,000 equals 12 monthly payments of $500).

In addition to the monthly payment option, award recipients can also choose to receive their award in one lump-sum.

Loans That Qualify

  • Stafford loans
  • Grad PLUS loans
  • Consolidation loans
  • Perkins loans
  • Private student loans

Next Steps

You can find application forms on this website. You can also contact their office for a paper application.

Tags: ,