Maine Dental Loan Repayment Program
The Maine Dental Education Loan Repayment Program provides loan repayment assistance to dentists practicing in underserved areas in Maine.
- Agree to: serve all patients regardless of ability to pay through insurance or other payment sources; accept payment terms of MaineCare; provide a sliding fee scale for payment of services to individuals with family income up to 200% of federal poverty levels; and not limit service to any individual based on the payment source
- Have qualifying outstanding education loans, including dental education loans
- Be employed at a dental care facility in an underserved population area
- Be licensed to practice in Maine
- Not be under an agreement for loan repayment from a program funded by the National Health Service Corp
A dental care facility must be in an:
- Underserved population area of Maine, providing primary dental care and provide notice to patients that it:
- Accepts all patients regardless of ability to pay through insurance or other payment sources
- Accepts payment on a sliding fee scale for certain low-income individuals
- Accepts payment through MaineCare
- Does not limit service to any individual based on payment source
What are the award amounts?
Up to $20,000 annually, $80,000 total
You must enter into an agreement requiring an initial two-year commitment, which is renewable for an additional two years.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Perkins loans
- Consolidation loans
You may apply online.