Michigan State Loan Repayment Program
The Michigan State Loan Repayment Program (MSLRP) assists employers in the recruitment and retention of medical, dental, and mental healthcare providers who continue to demonstrate their commitment to building long-term primary care practices in underserved communities designated as Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs). MSLRP will assist those selected by providing up to $200,000 in tax-free funds to repay their educational debt over a period of up to eight years. Participants compete for consecutive two-year MSLRP service obligations requiring them to remain employed for a minimum of 40 hours per week for no less than 45 weeks per year at eligible nonprofit practice sites providing primary healthcare services to ambulatory populations. Periods during which providers are “on call” do not count toward their 40 hours per week requirement. Providers must remain with the employers who sponsor them during their two-year agreements, and employers must continue to employ the providers they sponsor during their two-year service obligations.
Providers and employers should read this page to determine provider and practice site eligibility before applying to MSLRP.
- Be U.S. citizens to be eligible for MSLRP. Providers with green cards must complete the naturalization process to become U.S. Citizens before applying to the program.
- Be committed to building a long-term primary care practice in an underserved community.
- Have an agreement of employment at a HPSA-eligible practice site, with a start date no later than October 1 following the current application period, before applying for MSLRP. Providers will find additional information in the Information for Students, Residents and Providers in Transition section of the website.
- Since employers are required to make contributions to their providers’ loan repayment contracts, providers must confirm their employers will support their agreements.
- Remain with their current employer throughout their two-year loan repayment agreement.
- Be willing to learn the material in the Participant Information and Requirements section of this website and remain in compliance with program requirements.
Eligible MSLRP Provider Types:
Providers must have one of the following professional titles to be eligible for loan repayment thorough MSLRP. Both fully-licensed and limited-licensed mental health care providers listed below are eligible for MSLRP. Only fully-licensed mental health care providers are eligible for the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program.
- Dentists: DDS or DMD
- Physicians: MD or DO (Family Practice, Internal Medicine, OB/GYN, Pediatrics, Geriatrics)
- Physician Assistants (Primary Care, including the same specialties as MDs and DOs)
- Nurse Practitioners (Primary Care, including the same specialties as MDs and DOs)
- Certified Nurse Midwives
- Clinical or Counseling Psychologists (Ph.D./Masters)
- Licensed Professional Counselors (Ph.D./Masters)
- Marriage and Family Therapists (Ph.D./Masters)
- Psychiatric Nurse Specialists (Masters)
- Clinical Social Workers (Masters)
- Mental Health Counselors (Masters)
Provider Types Not Eligible for MSLRP:
- Dental Hygienists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- General Surgeons
- PAs and NPs working with physician specialists other than those listed above
- Nurse Anesthetists
- Occuplation Therapists
- Physical Therapists
- Mental healthcare provides with only a Bachelors Degree including: Counselors, Psychology and Social Workers
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Consolidation loans
- Perkins loans
- State loans
- Institutional loans
- Private loans