New Mexico Health Professional Loan Repayment Program
The purpose of the New Mexico Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) is to provide repayment for outstanding student loans of practicing health professionals. As a condition of the program, a health professional must make a two-year service commitment to practice full-time in a designated medical shortage area in New Mexico. The HPLRP is a competitive program. Application to the program does not guarantee to fund.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident alien
- New Mexico Resident (12 consecutive months)
- Licensed or certified in the state of New Mexico by the date funding begins (July 1st)
- Employed full time (40 hours a week)
- Preference is given to graduates of New Mexico public post-secondary institutions
Eligible Health Occupations:
The following health occupations are given priority in funding:
- Advance Practice Nurses
- Allied Health Care Providers
- Allopathic Physician
- Osteopathic Physician
- Physician Assistants
* Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses do not qualify for this program.
The maximum allowable award is $25,000.00 per year. Factors which may affect the award amount include the applicant’s amount of student loan debt and available funding for the program. Recipients are eligible for renewal upon completion of a two-year obligation.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Perkins loans
- Federal Consolidation loans
The application will be available on this page starting March 15th and will be removed from the page on the closing date of May 1st.