New Mexico Teacher Loan Repayment Program
The purpose of the Teacher Loan Repayment Program (TLRP) is to increase the number of teachers in designated high-risk teacher positions in public schools through an educational loan repayment program. The program provides for repayment of the principal and reasonable interest accrued on loans obtained from the federal government for teacher education purposes.
- Bona fide citizen of the United States;
- Bona fide New Mexico Resident (12 consecutive months);
- Licensed New Mexico Teacher;
- Currently employed as a teacher in a public school that is not meeting acceptable academic proficiency levels (Overall F or D graded school by the public education department); is located in geographic areas with high rate of poverty;
- Declare intent to practice as a teacher in a public school that is not meeting acceptable academic proficiency levels (Overall F or D graded school), and is located in geographic areas with high rate of poverty;
- Preference is given to graduates of New Mexico public post-secondary institutions.
The Advisory Committee reviews each individual application and evaluates applicants on the following criteria:
- Need within specific teaching positions;
- Need within specific New Mexico Counties;
- Need within Specific Schools;
- Need within Specific Grade Levels;
- Special Education Teacher Need;
- English Secondary Language (ESL) Teacher Need;
- Bilingual Education Teacher Need;
- Reading Specialist Need;
- Pre-K Teacher Need;
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Teacher Need;
- Graduated for a New Mexico Public post-secondary educational institution (preference given);
- High Student Debt income Ratio;
- Complete packet submitted;
- Hard to fill high-risk teaching position (letter required from school explaining why this particular teaching position is hard to fill.
**The Need for each of these criteria change annually.
The Teacher Loan Repayment Program new and renewal applications open every year on March 1st and close on May 1st at 5:00PM.
The Application is located on the New Mexico Higher Education Department website. (below) starting March 1st and will be removed from the page on the closing date of May 1st.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Consolidation loans
- Perkins loans
The application is available via the link in this section’s headline between March 15 and May 1 every year.