New York State Licensed Social Worker Loan Forgiveness Program
To Be Eligible …
- be a NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to applying for this Program;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- be a social worker professionally licensed to practice in NYS;
- have an outstanding balance on an eligible student loan debt;
- have at least one year of qualified service:
- full-time employment as a licensed social worker in a critical human service area for at least 35 hours per week during the calendar year prior to his or her application. To determine if your workplace is an eligible service area, visit Eligibility by County;
- be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award; and
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award.
Eligible Student Loans
An applicant must have an outstanding balance on eligible student loan debt.
Eligible student loans include:
- NYS or federal government loans, or
- private student loans made by commercial entities subject to governmental examination
This does not include Parent PLUS loans.
The maximum award under this Program is $26,000 or the applicant’s actual eligible student loan indebtedness, whichever is less. Awards will be paid in the amount of $6,500 for each annual period of qualified service completed or the remaining loan indebtedness. If the qualified service for the first or last year of the Program is less than 12 months, those disbursements will be pro-rated based on the number of months worked.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Consolidation loans
- NY student loans
- Private student loans
You can find the application for this program on this website.
- How to Build a Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program for Registered Nurses
- 5 Classic Personal Finance Books to Read if You Have Student Loan Debt
- Finding a Solution to Your Student Loan Debt Woes Just Got a Whole Lot Easier
- Four Finance Podcasts All Recent College Graduates Should Listen To
- Growth Hacking Your LoanGifitng Profile