Public Service Law Loan Repayment Program (New Mexico)

I would like expert help and advise with this application

The purpose of the New Mexico Public Service Law Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) is to provide legal educational loan repayment assistance to individuals providing public service in state or local government or the non-profit sector in New Mexico to low income or underserved residents.


  • Annual salary may not exceed $55,000.
  • Licensed to practice in New Mexico as an attorney and shall declare intent to practice as an attorney in public service employment in New Mexico.
  • Have student loans that were obtained for legal education expenses that are not in default (past or present).
  • Must have applied to all available legal educational loan repayment programs offered by the applicant’s law school for which the applicant qualifies.
  • Must be employed as an attorney at an eligible employment site (Note: Individuals with an official job offer may apply).
  • This is a service-based program, which requires a three (3) year commitment to work in Public Service Law. Past program participants may be eligible for renewal.

Eligible Employers:

  • Organizations that are exempt from taxation pursuant to Section 501(c) (3) that provides for the care and maintenance of indigent persons in New Mexico through civil legal services
  • The New Mexico Public Defender’s Department
  • The New Mexico District Attorney’s Office

Where to Apply:

The application will be available on this page starting October 1st and will be removed from the page on the closing date of February 1st.

How to Apply:

  • Complete the LRAP application packet (application link at bottom of page).

Submit a complete application packet and all supporting documents to:

    The New Mexico Higher Education Department Financial Aid Division

    2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4

    Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100

    When to Apply:

    The application period is between October 1st and February 1st.

    • Stafford loans
    • Grad PLUS loans
    • Consolidation loans
    • Perkins loans
    • State loans
    • Institutional loans
    • Private loans

    Next Steps

    You must complete an application and submit it to the New Mexico Higher Education Department.

    Tags: ,