St. David’s Foundation Public Health Corps Loan Repayment Program (Texas)
To Be Eligible …
Currently, applications are being accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. The first year of service begins on the first day of the month during which the application is received. The loan repayment award will be disbursed upon completion of the service period (12 consecutive months).
- All providers must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident (or otherwise authorized to work in the United States), practice an approved practice specialty, and agree to provide four years of service at an approved practice site (outpatient primary care or behavioral health facility)
- Physicians must have a current unrestricted license from the Texas Medical Board and be board certified or eligible to take the exam from an American Specialty Board that is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties or the Bureau of Osteopathic Specialists
- Dentists must have an unrestricted license from the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners
- Physician Assistants must be certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) or be eligible to take the exam offered by the NCCPA and work under the direction of a physician in the area of primary care and/or behavioral health
- Nurse Practitioners must be licensed as a Nurse Practitioner in the area of primary care and/or behavioral health or be eligible to take exam offered by a national certifying body recognized by the Texas Board of Nursing and work under the direction of a physician
Maximum Annual Award Amounts
If the loan balance is less than the applicable maximum annual award amount (as indicated below) times four, then the annual amounts will be prorated to retire the balance over a period of four years (contingent upon continued annual grant funding). Awards based on part-time service (for a minimum of 20 hours per week) will be prorated.
- Physicians and Dentists: $30,000
- Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners: $15,000
Note: Based on guidance received from the IRS, loan repayment awards through this program will not be reported to the IRS by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Consolidation loans
- Perkins loans
- Nursing Student Loans (NSL)
- Primary Care Loans (PCL)
- Private loans
- State loans
- Institutional loans
You can learn more about applying here.