Texas Physician Education Loan Repayment Program
To Be Eligible …
- Hold a full physician license from the Texas Medical Board, with no restrictions
- Be eligible to take the exam for board certification from specialty boards established in THECB administrative rules, if the physician has not earned and maintained board certification
- Agree to provide four consecutive years of service in a (1) federally designated Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), (2) secure correctional facility operated by or under contract with the Texas Juvenile Justice Department*, or (3) secure correctional facility operated by or under contract with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice*
- Provide direct patient care to Medicaid enrollees and CHIP enrollees, if the practice includes children
- Not be currently fulfilling another obligation to provide medical services as part of a scholarship agreement, a student loan agreement, or another student loan repayment program *Limited to 10 participants each year
APPROVED PRIMARY CARE SPECIALTIES
- Family Medicine/Family Practice
- General Practice
- General Internal Medicine
- General Pediatrics
- Geriatrics SERVICE PERIOD The service period is a period of twelve consecutive months, generally beginning on the date the application is received or the date qualifying employment begins, whichever is later.
Annual loan repayments are disbursed directly to the lender/servicer following completion of each service period. Physicians whose student loan indebtedness is at least $160,000 may qualify for the amounts shown below, based on full-time service. For physicians owing less than $160,000 on their student loans, the annual loan repayment amounts based on full-time service will be the amounts required to repay the indebtedness over a period of four years, with annual increases that are proportional to the annual increases for physicians owing at least $160,000 on their student loans, as follows:
- $25,000 for the first service period or 16% of the amount owed, if the total is less than $160,000
- $35,000 for the second service period or 22% of the amount owed, if the total is less than $160,000
- $45,000 for the third service period or 28% of the amount owed, if the total is less than $160,000
- $55,000 for the fourth service period or 34% of the amount owed, if the total is less than $160,000
The following conditions render loans INELIGIBLE for repayment through the PELRP: (1) loans made during residency or to cover post-medical school expenses, (2) loans in a default status, (3) loans having an existing service obligation, and (4) loans that are subject to repayment through another student loan repayment or forgiveness program.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Consolidation loans
- Perkins loans
Loans that are subject to repayment through another student loan repayment or forgiveness program do not qualify.
You can download an application here.