Washington Health Professional Loan Repayment Program
To Be Eligible …
The Health Professional programs encourage licensed health professionals to provide primary care health care at approved sites in rural or underserved areas. The programs provide financial assistance through either conditional scholarships or loan repayment. Many types of providers are eligible, including doctors, dentists, nurses, pharmacists, and others. Healthcare sites, such as clinics, also must apply and be approved to employ program participants.
In 2016, approximately 100 health professionals worked in underserved areas of Washington as a result of this program. Since 1990, the program has funded over 1,000 professionals serving in 38 Washington counties, and demand continues to exceed funding available.
Two programs provide educational loan repayment assistance (see table below for detailed information):
- The Federal-State Loan Repayment Program (FSLRP) uses matching federal grant funds for awards.
- The Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) uses only state dollars for awards.
|Federal-State Loan Repayment Program (FSLRP)||Health Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP)|
|Awards use federal funds matched with state dollars||Awards use state funds only|
|Maximum $70,000 award||Maximum $75,000 award|
|Minimum two-year service obligation||Minimum three-year service obligation|
|Minimum 40-hour work week||Minimum 24-hour work week (service obligation period prorated to three-year, full-time equivalency)|
|Default penalty – months not served x $7,500 per month plus interest (minimum of $31,000 payback)||Default penalty – funds disbursed doubled plus interest|
|Maximum 35.7 days per contract year allowed in leave away from clinic/site for holidays, sick leave, vacation, etc.||Maximum 40 days per contract year allowed in leave away from clinic/site for holidays, sick leave, vacation, etc.|
|Eligible sites: See reference guides for full details, but must have a federal Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) designation, be a nonprofit, and have an implemented and posted Sliding Fee Schedule (SFS).||Eligible sites: See reference guides for full details. Does not require HPSA designation or a SFS.|
|Eligible Providers: DDS or DMD, Registered Dental Hygienist, MD, DO, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse, Pharmacist, Certified Nurse Midwife||Eligible Providers: DDS or DMD, Registered Dental Hygienist, MD, DO, ND, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse, Pharmacist, Certified Nurse Midwife, Licensed Midwife, Clinical Psychologist*, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker*, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist*, Licensed Mental Health Counselor*
*Requires a current, full, permanent, unencumbered, unrestricted health professional license or credential working in an integrated setting or system of care. Individuals with the associate level, restricted credential are not eligible.
Loans That Qualify
- Stafford loans
- Grad PLUS loans
- Federal Consolidation loans (excluding Consolidation loans that include a Parent PLUS loan)
- Perkins loans (if they cannot be cancelled due to your service)
- Nursing Student Loans (NSL)
- Health Professions Student Loans (HPSL)
- Health Education Assistance Loans (HEAL)
- Private loans
- State loans
- Institutional loans
Loans with a co-signer do not qualify, including spousal Consolidation loans.
You can learn more about the application process here.
Please email [email protected] if you would like to be added to our program updates and notification list.
- How to Build a Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program for Registered Nurses
- 5 Classic Personal Finance Books to Read if You Have Student Loan Debt
- Finding a Solution to Your Student Loan Debt Woes Just Got a Whole Lot Easier
- Four Finance Podcasts All Recent College Graduates Should Listen To
- Growth Hacking Your LoanGifitng Profile